Friday, July 23, 2010

Day Ten - 1/2 Day Get Away

Oh man.
I'm one third done this devotional.
That's really upsetting.
Yeah, I still have two thirds.
I just. Love this book too much.
I can't believe it's been two weeks though!
Four more to go, merh.

"High school football. Nothing like it. The smell of October in the air. The lights, the sounds, the frenzy." - Lookadoo page 46

Good ol' marching band right there. He's right, it's a frenzy. There's always things going on, everywhere you look. Cheerleaders, football players, the band, the annoying tweens, the groups with their snacks, the little kids watching their older siblings, and the press box. The press box? All the way at the top. Seeing everything? Mr.Hess' home for the games. Yep. Lookadoo calls it the birds nest.

Perspective.
Lookadoo did Mr.Hess' job when he went to the game. The coach runs in and mumbles something of I need a fresh perspective. Too much chaos. Lookadoo says that he just needed to get away from it all, and look at it all differently. Not in the midst of all the high school shenanigans.

Luke 5:12-15
'While Jesus was in one of the towns, a man came along who was covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he fell with his face to the ground and begged him, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" And immediately the leprosy left him. Then Jesus ordered him, "Don't tell anyone, but go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to the." Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowed of people came to hear him and to be headed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.'

Do you understand the connection? It took me a second, but the crazy. All of that football stuff, is everything that Jesus was in the middle of by the end of that passage. The lights, the sound, the frenzy.

Okay, just a note. Every time I type frenzy, I think of Five Iron.

Getting back. Jesus was often alone and prayed. In the bird's nest.

My turn. Your turn. To get away from it all and just be with God. I'm supposed to take a 1/2 day to get away from it all. I like doing that, it's never really for 1/2 a day though. It's usually like an hour on a mission trip, or something like that. It's enough for me, but I think I'm going to push myself to do some more. This suggests once a month. I committed, I'm going to try it.

If Jesus did it, and he was pretty much a celeb. Then I can, we can, do it.

LIFE LINK!
Mark 1:35
'Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.'

"Dude, if you're too busy to pray and spend time with God, you're just too busy."

No comments:

Post a Comment