Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day Eight - Prayer

Whoops.
I accidentally called yesterdays lesson prayer, when it wasn't.
This makes a lot more sense.
I was almost disappointed at first, there wasn't a passage to read.
There wasn't even a life link.
I even have a little life link section on my wall in my room.
Right by the door, so I see it every time I walk out.
Another new addition I plan on keeping.

A main point addressed in todays lesson is that communication is important. I think it is, I really do. I believe that you should always get the words across even if you don't want to say them. If they're harsh, mean, a whole bunch of adjectives, they need to be said. Without words, you are literally nowhere.

It was asked, why is it hard to pray?
It was always hard for me, and still is because I struggle with two sides of me.
There is the side that says 'Hey, God, yeah, I need some help.'
And then the side that says 'No. Don't worry about you, worry about the world.'
I pray for me last, if I even pray for me at all.
That's one reason I wrote down why it's hard.
It's pretty much the only reason when I think about it.

Next question. How is that Satan keeps you from praying?
I never actually looked at it this way, but I'm going to agree with Justin.
One thing he said was being too busy.
Okay, even if I'm busy, I try to say a prayer.
I usually do at night.
When I'm really busy though, and just crash.
After talking on my phone.
I don't pray.
Hey there, Satan. I see your plan is working.
I'm really really glad my eyes are opened to this now.

Next. How do I pray?
I guess. I ramble.
Someone told me that even know God knows what happened throughout your day, He wants you to tell Him.
I talk about somethings, ask for forgiveness, to help this person and that person.
Alright.

The last retreat I was on, Gretna Glen, right before Christmas.
The leaders instructed people in the youth group to teach a new way to pray.
Justin mentioned one of them, and that was A.C.T.S

A - Adoration
C - Confession
T - Thanksgiving
S - Supplication

I think I did that one, for about. A week. Obviously it didn't stick.

He showed I new one, and I like it. It's simple.
It is originally P.A.R.T.

P - Praise
A - Admit
R - Request
T - Thanks

Lookadoo, being himself added a 'S' to the end. P.A.R.T.S. I love it.

P - Praise
A - Admit
R - Request
T - Thanks
S - Shut up

I like it. I realized, when I pray.
I pray until I'm out.
Sleeping, dreaming, all of that.
When I shouldn't.
I say I listen to God, or am trying to hear it.
But I try in the rush of the day.
With the chattering people, and the rushing activities.
Another eye opener.

P - Praise - Psalm 147:1
A - Admit - 1 John 1:9
R - Request - James 4:2b
T - Thanks - Psalm 136:1
S - Shut up - Psalm 46:10a

A prayer journal was highly recommended.
I think when I go shopping tomorrow for my mission trip stuff,
I'm going to pick one up.
I really. Really. Really. Want to do this.

"Most people don't hear anything from God because they don't stop talking. This is what really makes praying a conversation and not just a monologue to God." - Lookadoo page 39

No comments:

Post a Comment