Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day Nineteen - Attitude Adjustment

I typed the words 'Attitude Adjustment' and I thought of one person.
Not me. Someone who needs it real bad.
Blah to names.

If any of you know me really well, I hope you can notice something.
I like to look at the good.
I focus on the bad a lot, yes, but I always see the good.
Or I try.
I always think of that one Relient K song.
The Lining is Silver.
Another good song to buy or look up.
'Isn't it nice to know that the lining is silver? Isn't it nice to know that we're golden?'
I find it nice to know.

Lookadoo starts by telling about his friend who was in two unthinkable tragedies.
I read them.
Yeah, ouch.
They were harsh.
Both accidents, one including a motorcycle the other including a plane crash.
Lookadoo continues to mention about how this man is one of the most positive people he has ever met.

"Your attitude is determined by your focus. In any situation you can focus on the good or the bad. If you want to change your attitude, you have to change your focus." - Lookadoo page 91

"It's not what happens to you but what you do about it." - W. Mitchell

Bad day.
No, not that cheesy song.
Bad day, bad month, bad year, bad life.
Job.
Read Job 42:1-6

It talks all about how Job praises God.
Wasn't it just stated he had a really bad life?
Yerp.
Even through that, he understood God was in control.

"His attitude was bad because he was focusing on his bad situation and not on God." - Lookadoo page 92

True true.
I know I don't do that enough.
I try to focus the good, yes.
But I forget that the good comes from God.
So if I cut out the middle word, good, I can go straight to God.
I'll get the same results.
My one friend mentioned distractions.
I was completely for it. I totally agreed.
I love distractions for when it comes to bad things.
Anything to keep that dreaded topic off my mind.
I'm up for it.
This made me think a little different.

I know I just said that I focus on the good.
I realized that's just for short term problems.
Kind of.
Like, fights, bitterness, change.
I never really believed it for other things.
Bobby, youth group issues, and even addictions.
I tried for addictions. But I know that monster.

LIFE LINK!
Romans 8:28
'And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to chose who are called according to His purpose.'

I think. I really think that this is my favorite LIFE LINK!
I hear people say all the time 'It'll be okay in the end.'
Or 'He has a plan.'
Okay, phrases. I never knew the bible verse.

Practice time?
Lookadoo gave two situations and I had to find the good.
The first one, was easy, it was a tough situation, but easy to find the good.
He told me what he saw.
The second one, I was stuck.
Of course that's the one he doesn't tell you what he thinks.
I found a couple, I think?
I'm not too sure.
Talk to me and I'll tell you the story.
To shorten, the first one had a pencil through her chest.
The second one was a grandmother sent to jail for killing someone brutally in the middle of the street until 'he lost virtually all the blood in his body'.
Humph.

Lookadoo talks about working to find a good focus.
That's hard.
Especially when fighting.
I know with me, I'm just drained.
I'll give it shot.
This book hasn't failed me yet.
Sigh.
Here I go.

"Dig until you find something good to focus on. Change your focus. Change your attitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment